Thursday, June 13, 2013

VISA APPLICATION: 2 steps forward. 20 steps back.

One step forward. Two steps back.

That's the way it works, right? Yesterday during my planning period at work I filled out the paper work that I would need to bring to the Brazilian consulate next week to apply for my visa, and I finished my first homework assignment for my last class in graduate school. On top of that, I found my plane tickets that I would need to apply for my visa AND even contacted Dennis Asche at Connection Rio about booking my room.

All in all, it was a good day. I was on track and even left work early so I could go home, change for class, grab my dinner, and be ready to stop by the gym on my way home from class that night. Mondays and Wednesdays are busy days for me because I teach full time and then I have to leave work early in order to make it out of the city and to school on time. I sit in class for 3 hours and then afterwards head to the gym. I normally get there by 8pm so I have about a half hour to workout before I help Brent close the gym. Then I go home to shower, ice, and repeat.  On this particular night I was supposed to be doing the fighting portion of my belt test.

So like I said, it was a good day. I left work feeling laid back and completely relaxed, despite my hectic schedule. I strolled across the street to my car (or my dad's car I should say because I've been borrowing his minivan since my car broke down) and then I realize it. No minivan.

Nada.

Nada minivan in sight.

Seriously, who steals a minivan? Well there goes my plan of trying to hit my dad up a couple months down the line for extra cash to go on a little mini-vacation while in Brazil.  I was completely blown because just when I get things on track and I'm about to drop a couple grand to make my dream a reality, setbacks always arrive in abundance.

Car or no car. I'm still applying for my visa next week, I'm still fighting in July, I'm still going to Pennsylvania in August, and I'm still moving to Brazil in September.


"Challenges should be seen as stepping stones to self-improvement"- thats what I've been told.


Well, when it rains it pours. Literally because there is about to be a big thunderstorm tonight and I live in the basement. Ha! So now on top of dealing with the possibility of wet carpet and moldy mats at home, my lack of car renders me victim to the elements. Now that I have to rely on nothing but a bike and public transportation my training schedule gets disrupted. I can take the metro to work (though I go on summer vacation in 3 days), but it's a 4 mile bike ride to the MiKiDo and it's a pain in the ass.  Honestly, I hate it. Every time I get on the bike with a compressed gym bag strapped to my back, I wonder how Grand Master Hess can ride around all day on his bike.

Master Mike "the Mongoose" Hess on one of his bike rides


I hate it... but every time my quads burn up as I'm struggling up a hill I just think about how vicious my round kicks are going to be and how bad I'm going to tear up some girl's IT band when I fight this summer. I mean the only reason I have a bike to get to the gym at all is because someone that used to train with us at MiKiDo responded to my Facebook post and lent me a bike about 3 months ago.

In reality, I have a lot to be grateful for. In all honesty, I've missed the last two days of training and I've just been sitting at home restlessly not sure what to do with myself. I tried leaving my basement apartment to venture up stairs and watch cable, but its been so long since I've watched T.V. that I gave up after not being able to find any UFC.

No comments:

Post a Comment