Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of July- 16 days to fight

My sprinting field 

I was supposed to go home for 4th of July to visit my family, BUT my friend told me Renzo's would be closed over the holiday and through the weekend so I was forced to push my trip off to next week.

16 days til I fight for the IKF classic world champion belt in the Straw Weight division (108 lbs). 4th of July or not, I still had to get a work out in, so as guests started to arrive at my house for our cookout, I was in the driveway jumping rope and shadow boxing. Today being a holiday I decided to take a break from doing sprints on my normal soccer field and opted for the "20th Street Hill from Hell" instead. I haven't hit that hill since.... well possibly since training for this same fight last year. I picked a particularly hot and humid day at 1pm to tackle it, but I figure that Rio will be like this, if not worse, every day.

I stood at the bottom of the hill for a minute wishing that I was back in the comfort of my house, but I remembered the only thing I could think about before I stepped into the ring for my first fight ever was, "Shit! I wish I had done more sprints!". So I sprinted up and jogged down, sprinted up and jogged down until I did the allotted number of sprints at which point I generally pat myself on the back and half ass jog the three blocks back to my house. Today being an extra special day, instead of returning home, I sucked it up (literally I could have thrown up by then),  added two more feet and then did it all over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment